[alug] PRESS RELEASE: Announcing LinuxNewbie.com web portal

jg at cyberstorm.demon.co.uk jg at cyberstorm.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 14:40:03 BST 1999

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Laurie Brown wrote:

> James,
>
> Don't feel bad, mate. What you're doing is admirable, and one little
> mistake doesn't negate everything else you did/have done/will do. Chin
> up, and move on! If you want anything reviewed, proof-read etc., just
> ask.

Thanks Laurie!

What I might do when we have some real substance for testing is let you
ALUGers have a page to set a cookie unlocking the site so you can test it,
and submit your comments and opinions on it. For the past 24/48hours I've
been bogged down with mails about the P-R - a number of offers from other
sites wanting some form of co-operation, others from people asking for
help and advice, others still asking if they can get involved.

Maybe later this month I'll unlock the site under Beta test for all to
comment on. I'm not a fan of complete-openness during initial construction
since without carefull management of opinions, things may get bogged down
uneccessarily, but I am a big fan of small groups of people testing things
out and providing unbiased opinion, and that's what I want.

Once again, we are accepting people who want to help us out, so if you or
people you know have ideas for the site or excess time and skills, please
email me - we can always do with more numbers!

And just as I went to bed last night at 3am, I saw linuxtoday covering an
ecommercetimes.com article about us. Quite an amazing response, much more
than I'd expected :)

James Green           jg at cyberstorm.demon.co.uk
Site Manager          jg at linuxnewbie.com
LinuxNewbie.com LNC   http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/