[alug] Trouble with gimp

Doug Tulloch doug at dtulloch.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 10:15:22 GMT 2000

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.10002191821420.14303-100000 at sunlab17>, Green J
M K <jmkgre at essex.ac.uk> writes
>On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Doug Tulloch wrote:
>
>[ snip worrying memory usage ]
>
>> I found in a Q&A forum (xach.com mean anything?) someone who was getting
>> some sort of crash in Gimp while using bezier tools, also in Linux
>> Mandrake 6.1.  He didn't get it with Red Hat 6.0.  Someone pointed that
>> it is possible that Mandrake compile using pgcc, which uses 'overzealous
>> optimisation'  Compiling gimp with gcc was suggested as a possible
>> remedy.  I wouldn't know how to go about that though.
>
>It's worth a try.
>
>Go to www.gimp.org and download an rpm of gimp-1.0.4.i386.rpm and install
>that ($ rpm -Uvh --force gimp-1.0.4.i386.rpm) and see if that helps.
>
>It also possible that Macmillan/Mandrake have released and updated package
>themselves to fix it - check this first.
>
>> Sorry if some of the above is unclear or inaccurate but at the moment I
>> can use neither modem nor printer with Linux so have to scribble things
>> down and then reboot in Windows to communicate, but that's another
>> story!
>
>I remember it well...
>
>James.
>
>[ This email came to you via the Anglian Linux User Group list ]
>[  If you only wish to recieve event announcements, email the  ]
>[ SUBJECTs of "unsubscribe alug" and "subscribe alug-announce" ]
>[ to listserver at stu.uea.ac.uk -- We do need your support, tho' ]

I can't find a gimp rpm on any of the UK mirrors or even on the main
site.  The nearest I got was v. 1.0.2.  I've downloaded a .tar.gz
though.  Can I use this and if so should I uninstall the Mandrake one
first?  Thanks for helping, by the way!
--
Doug Tulloch