[alug] Connecting to Freeserve..

Green J M K jmkgre at essex.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 20:42:11 GMT 2000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Stu wrote:

> dont know why people are saying its hard to achive I was online within 10
> minuets....!!
> Far more simple than I was lead to belive.. so why do all these websites
> tell you to add this to that file edit this and that... there seems to be no
> need at all.......just use the interfaces in KDE or Gnome...

I'm the sort of person who won't rely on anything within X unless I have
to. That means I won't use a graphical mail/news client unless I get then
graphical ppp tool since there's no guarantees I'll stay in X while
on-line.

> Whatever at least I got it working... :)

Took me about half an hour. The problem most people face is with things
like mail setup when most of the terms people are either clueless about
(pop3 server, smtp server, dns servers, hostname, etc.) or are unsure of
and that tends to slow them down considerably.

James.