[Alug] ALUG Library ...

Steve Fosdick fozzy at pelvoux.demon.co.uk
Thu May 3 23:53:39 BST 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:11:05AM +0100, Neill Newman wrote:

> hhmmm at the point of starting a flame I'd like to say that xml is very
> good at what it does, removes content from markup, html is contant and
> markup munged together, not nice!!
> html is ok for small/medium sites, but any decent large scale dynamic
> stuff is all xml with xslt->html translators, believe me, xml is worth
> the effort...

I have seen a couple of presentations that compare XML with HTML and
emphasise that XML is concerned with contents and HTML with
presentation.  What I have more trouble understanding is how XML
differs from SGML.

SGML appears already to be extensible - you define as many or as few
tags as you like, and how they are allowed to be combined, using a
DTD.  An SGML processor can convert a document into a presentable form
using a stylesheet that maps tags into presentation actions or
properties.

Could someone enlighten me?

Steve.