[Alug] List splitting

David Freeman david_freeman at rocketmail.com
Mon May 7 15:20:03 BST 2001

--- MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> This list is getting busy now and some people are unsubscribing
> because of the volume.  What should we do?

Err, PANIC! :o)

> 1. Do nothing.  Leave alug at stu as the one list and hope people use
> digest etc to filter it.

Not good, some People don't like what can be 80k emails arriving once a
day.

> 2. Split list.  Break certain topics off into other lists.
>   a) alug (LUG traffic only), alug-announce (announcements only),
>         alug-talk (general chatter not necessarily ALUG-related)
>   b) alug (as it has been usually), alug-hackers (in-depth tech talk)
>   c) alug (as it has been this week), alug-help (general help)

d) Alug for general LINUX help and chat, ALUG-announce (announcements
only) and then secret-admirers (for chat about hacking type stuff like
we had had recently, to include all topics which don't fit in with
whats on the main ALUG list). And for anyone who doesn't understand
where the name comes from read cryptonomicon.

> 3. Gateway onto a private news server somewhere.  Should make it
> easier for people to only download stuff they want, but is possibly
> incompatible with the previously-discussed spam blocking.

News != good. to much risk of spamming.

> 4. Something else.

5. upto date archives so people can view the list via the web.

Thanks