[Alug] Beginner Reading List

David Freeman david_freeman at rocketmail.com
Tue May 29 13:15:10 BST 2001

Guys,

Please, it wasn't a flame, it was just a small rant aimed at noone in
particular, I was only Identify a weekness in the documentation of
Linux.

As for books, the unix programming environment by Kenrighan is worth a
read as are

TCP/IP network Admin  - Lots of info on configuring networks for unix
Unix in a nutshell    - Explains all th commands
A book on PC hardware - useful for understanding how the hardware works
programming with GNu software - good for working out why ./configure,
make make install has failed.

Any more I think of I'll mail you.

Thanks

"A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power
off and on.

Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: "You cannot
fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no
understanding of what is going wrong."

Knight turned the machine off and on.

the machine worked."