[Alug] Re: main digest, Vol 1 #401 - 7 msgs

Kelly Ash LadySpudz at HotPop.com
Wed Sep 4 10:06:01 BST 2002

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 6:25 am, you wrote:
> Message: 5
> From: Richard Kettlewell <rjk at terraraq.org.uk>
> To: main at lists.alug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Alug] Linux wins!
> Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:29:48 +0100
>
> Kelly Ash <LadySpudz at HotPop.com> writes:
> > What I'd like to know now is how differently an install is if it's
> > going to be a Linux only machine?  I didn't do any partitioning for
> > the current installation (dual with Win98se - each having their own
> > hd) and let Linux go about it's business.  I want to wipe both hd's
> > and start again from scratch with NO Win anything on here.
> >
> > Due to Malcolms kind offer, I'll be installing the ProSuite edition
> > of Mandrake 8.2 and was curious as to how Linux will see/use 2 empty
> > hd's.
>
> There shouldn't be any problem, though I'm not familiar with Mandrake.
> But I'm puzzled as to why you want to throw away your existing Linux
> install and start again; why not just add the space currently used by
> Windows to the Linux install instead?

For a 'fresh start', and to pay a bit closer attention to what exactly is
going on during the install.  Think I was scared to look last time!

Plus, what else would I want to do on a Saturday?*g*

It will partition itself within the two hd's then?  Am working (studying,
researching, swearing) on 2 other things Linuxy atm and don't wish to get
into partitioning if I can avoid it.