[Alug] FSF Award

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 12:13:02 BST 2002

John Seago <john.seago at dakings.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Those of you who subscribe to the FSFE list will have already seen this,
> but as the the message itself suggests I am re-posting it here, together
> with the suggestion that this LUG should nominate M.J. Ray for all his
> efforts, hard work and financial support for the foundation of the AFFS,
> see: <http://www.affs.org.uk/>, as, as one of those involved in the early
> stages I know that there would be *NO* AFFS without Mark.

Now you're just making me feel guilty for not having got the charity
registration process underway sooner and being particularly slow to process
new membership forms (about 2 weeks is normal atm).  Also, there's not
enough money or organisation to do or manage any of the projects that I
think we should do (a fully localised accounting package is particularly
high on my list... would anyone else here put money into a targetted fund
for developing such a thing?).  I also think that there aren't enough
members yet and I've not been travelling to LUGs as much as I ought to.

No, I think there are better people who could get this this year.  A few of
the FSFE founders are definitely more deserving.  I particularly suggest
that you look at the work done by Georg Greve in travelling, advocacy and
writing; and Werner Koch, vice-chancellor of FSFE Germany and GnuPG lead
author, who has helped to prod the German government towards accepting it
for some sort of official use.

There are others who may also be appropriate, but those are the two who came
to my mind.  Take a look and see what you think.  I think it's too early for
the UK scene to get such an award and there are half a dozen or so of us who
have done about as much.  I just talk more (and probably spend too much time
preaching to the choir, which means you get to hear about it).

Speaking of that, AFFS would like to have a stand at LinuxExpo in London
next month.  In order to do that, I suspect we'll need help, so watch out
for an appeal on the fsfe-uk list (linked from http://www.affs.org.uk/ )
very soon.  Who from ALUG is going to be there?  Care for an ALUG meet?

MJR