[Alug] Gentoo

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 22:41:01 BST 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:31:31PM +0100, Craig wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:07:41PM +0100, Adam Bower wrote:
> > I tried one of the earlier releases and didn't get the experience it was
> > suggested i would, i left it overnight compiling and got back the next day to
> > find it had really screwed up somewhere in the build process so I was
> > understandably a bit pissed off :)
>
> The early releases were a bit awkward but weren't most distros were like this
> in their early stages?

Thats true, just I did think it took the piss as their publicity at the time
promised lots more than they actually gave me though. What I may do when I find
some spare time is do an install of Debian and make it nice and lovely for this
box and then benchmark it, then do the same for Redhat, Gentoo Mandrake to see
what the benefits in performance of each are as I am especially interested to
see if the alleged optimisations actually make any difference with Gentoo as I
have heard some people say that the real world benefits will be minimal
possibly less than 1 or 2% and in some cases worse than just compiling for 386.

Adam
--
"Step away from the Cathedral, This Bazaar is loaded"
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li