[Alug] Gentoo

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Wed Sep 11 08:55:02 BST 2002

Ricardo Campos wrote:
>>Ah... Running a download mirror internally helps a lot. I realise there's a
>>lot of compiling to do, but pulling the source through a 100MB internal
>>network is a whole lot faster than using even 512K cable, never mind a modem.
>

> Yep!
>
> Half the time was pulling it from ibiblio (SLOOOW!)

Yeah. We also mirror ibiblio so we can control what goes on the boxes. We do
that by defining what goes in the portage tree, and then updating from the
/distfiles mirror internally. It works well.

> I'm getting a kernel panic... but I think the problem

9 times out of 10, that's an error in /boot/grub/menu.lst caused by failing
to point to the right place for your root partition. If it's a laptop, it's
usually a misconfigured kernel.

> could be WAAAAY back in the process (the passwd
> command didn't work for a start). Still, it was a
> learning experience, which I will get right next time
> round... unfortunately I'm moving and will have no net
> access for a while.... fortunately, my new net access
> will be 512kbps cable! ;)

When you get your 512k cable connection (I have a 512 cable here in my
office, and a 2meg line in my server room), be sure to rsync ibiblio. Bear in
mind the whole tree is more than 20GB, 90% of which we never use! There are
about 2,500 packages now, and growing.

Cheers, Laurie.
                                Laurie Brown
                            laurie at brownowl.com