[Alug] Networking Trouble.. stupid ass of Windows 98.

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 00:56:02 BST 2002

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:56:57AM +0100, Craig wrote:

> Now I have set Windows 98 networking to the correct IP, gateway address and
> DNS. But it doesn't see Workstation + the Router! No ping replies, heck the
> internet isn't there!
>
> I cannot ping it from my workstation/router to workstation2 at all. First
> thought is the cable connection.. Nothing there. Checked IP etc.. seems fine.

use tcpdump to see if you can see any packets on the local network from each of
the boxen, or arpwatch to see if you can even get arp requests out of it, also
are you sure you have tried swapping cables and using different hub ports and
made sure there are no crossover cables where there should be patch leads?

the other thing i would try is maybe get a linux rescue disk of some type and
use that on the windows box to prove you don't have a hardware fault. Final
option install a different version of windows... failing that teach people
linux :)

Adam
--
"Step away from the Cathedral, This Bazaar is loaded"
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li