[Alug] Raid Motherboards

Ashley ashley at ashleyhowes.com
Sat Sep 14 14:04:01 BST 2002

On Saturday, September 14, 2002, at 12:05 PM, Christopher Drane wrote:

> I am going to get a new Motherboard and I want it to have onboard raid.
> What I was wondering are there any pitfalls to raid drives and Linux
> and do
> you know of any good motherboards that have onboard raid and are
> supported
> well in Linux.  The good  news is that money is not one of my main
> problems,
> I am looking to spend up to £200 so that should be plenty.  I thought I
> would post this before I get the board, hopefully I can get the right
> board
> that is supported by Linux thus stopping me having the problems after I
> have
> brought it.  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated

If you are using RAID, I don't suggest having it on the motherboard.
The reason for this is failure.  Unless you have another m/b of the same
type, it will be difficult to recover your data.

Go for a PCI-card, or better yet, an external RAID unit which plugs into
a standard interface.  If the RAID fails, it will be much easier to
recover your data on another machine.

Others on the list should be able to suggest the best solutions to use
with Linux.

--

Ashley T. Howes Ph.D.
http://www.ashleyhowes.com

"When all the animals of this world are gone, man will die of loneliness"