[Alug] Raid Motherboards

Laurie Brown laurie at brownowl.com
Sun Sep 15 14:38:02 BST 2002

Raphael Mankin wrote:
> On 15-Sep-2002 Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>
>>Ashley <ashley at ashleyhowes.com> writes:
>>
>>>If you are using RAID, I don't suggest having it on the motherboard.
>>>The reason for this is failure.  Unless you have another m/b of the
>>>same type, it will be difficult to recover your data.
>>
>>But you have backups anyway, right?
>>

> OK ,let's ask the awkward questions. 1.How many of the members of this list have
> *complete* backups the their umpteen-gigabyte disks? 2. How long would it take
> you to rebuild your system to ts *current* state after a disk crash?
>
> I have complete, daily tape backups, but I have never yet managed to rebuild a
> system in under a week. The new system always has a slightly different
> configuration from the old one, and there is always something that I overlook
> when selecting what to restore. Then there are incompatible libraries etc.

We have a backup server, and we use rsync-diff to backup all the orther
servers to it. The bu server is then itself backed up to another server in
"another place". I think we're as well covered as we can be. Our Gentoo build
is automated, requiring only a few questions asked and about 5 config files,
so rebuilding a server takes 3 hrs, then the data restore. All data is stored
in a separate partition, making restoration easier.

Cheers, Laurie.
                                Laurie Brown
                            laurie at brownowl.com
                      PGP key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371