[Alug] Hard Drive performance

Douglas Willis ddw at bas.ac.uk
Tue Sep 17 09:25:01 BST 2002

On some of the earlier laptops turning on DMA caused the cdrom drives to
lockup requiring a hare reset of the machine.  I this was due to
slightly non standard IDE bus architecture.

I run an IBM A21M which has a PIII ant about 800MHz and now have no
problems with disk access once I turned on the DMA settings.

The RedHat install by default disabled the DMA .