[Alug] Speedtouch Modem

Wayne Stallwood wayne.stallwood at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 21 14:13:01 BST 2002

I know what you're saying, I thought that for a while too.

What bothers me is that if this is true what are the conditions met before the
dark forces (BT) kick me off.

Under XP it's fine (easy 20 day's +, Yes I have managed to keep XP running for
more than 20 days before)
Under XP recieving a shoutcast stream using Winamp client, it's fine (the only
time XP has lost it's connection was once during a particularly bad storm)
Under Linux it's fine (again 20days + not uncommon)
Under Linux recieving a shoutcast stream using Xmms, 5 hours max before
connection fails, usually about 3

All the above are also true if I plug my system in on the Business ADSL line I
have at my Office

It's so odd that at first I thought is was concidence, but it's ONLY ever
fails on Linux when I am running a stream

So if BT kick people off that listen to shoutcast for too long, then why
doesn't it happen on XP and if BT kicks off Linux users why does it only
happen when I am listening to a stream.

Also why is it that I have never read (on Usenet, Speedtouch Mailing lists or
Linux Mailing lists) of anyone else having this problem. It must be something
specific to my system, I just don't know what.

Incendently what is the difference between usb-uhci and uhci ? Which one
should I be using to connect my ADSL Modem. (not that it seems to make any
difference to this problem)

Cheers

Wayne