[ALUG] Idle question about keyboard bindings

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 20:39:39 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 17:40 +0100, Ruth Bygrave wrote:

> Which is why I had this "Sodding Arrogant Californian Company Doesn't
> Bother To Get Its Localisations Right Even When It Has A Few Million
> Overseas Customers" reaction (which I was very frustrated about when
> I went to the Mac user groups because there were 0 users who hadn't
> grown up in the Mac ghetto or used a Mac as their first box).

For US vs British keyboard layouts I still don't understand why
localisation was necessary in the first place.

The British layout can type the US currency symbol with ease and has the
# which seems to be more frequently used in the States (and my Asterisk
box still keeps referring to as "pound") in a convenient (perhaps all to
convenient) position.

As to layouts of typewriters-

There is a circa 1914 Royal typewriter in my spare room that has the
following layout for shifted symbols

2-"
3-/
4-@
5-£

Oh and backspace is where the 1 should be (there is no 1)