[ALUG] clamav on etch and cpu usage

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 19:27:21 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 17:49 +0100, Jenny Hopkins wrote:

> I'm really nervous in case it isn't actually working anymore though -
> shame I can't send myself a virus to check :-)
> I don't know why we use Mailscanner - haven't really sussed what it
> is,, although it is on my list somewhere of ToFindOuts.

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Is your friend, it is a tiny file that is registered by most (if not
all) anti virus scanners as a virus but poses no actual threat.

It doesn't test the effectiveness of your scanners detection patterns,
but it does at least prove that the scanner is working.

I also believe that clamav has it's own similar test file which is not
necessarily detected by other scanners (handy when you are trying to
download eicar through a filtering proxy)