[ALUG] UK VoIP Providers

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 20:44:59 BST 2007

On 27-Jun-07 19:31:50, MJ Ray wrote:
> (Ted Harding) <ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Could I then connect to their Skype phone from my voiptalk phone?
>
> Not if all they have is a skype: address (I don't know if Skype
> phones have phone numbers or sip: or iax: addresses).

I guess that's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

> Skype is another
> proprietary system, with the added drawbacks of occasional spyware[1],
> power management screwups[2] and chance of making users with public IP
> addresses into trunk switches ("Supernodes")[3].  There have also been
> network worms, but I'm not sure whether they worry Linux-based users.
> Anyway, I suggest avoiding Skype and making people aware of its
> dangers.
>
> 1. http://www.pagetable.com/?p=27
> 2. http://blog.drinsama.de/erich/en/2007061401-power-waster-skype.html
> 3.
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&
> articleId=9012239

Well, that's not relevant to me (since I don't use Skype and don't
intend to); and there's nothing I can do about their use of Skype!
(They're in New Zealand and use Skype for talking with their family
back here; I'm pretty sure that they just use the internet address
and not any number, since the family back here use Skype too).

It's just that I wondered if a VoIP service could connect to them
so that I could have a chat too!

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>