[ALUG] Exim4 virtual hosts

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 14:47:51 BST 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 13:38:43 MJ Ray wrote:
> Richard Lewis <richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > musariada:/home/richard# exim4 -bt events at studios.uea.ac.uk
> > s.waters at uea.ac.uk is undeliverable: Unrouteable address
> >     <-- events at studios.uea.ac.uk
>
> musariada doesn't seem to know how to deliver
> events at studios.uea.ac.uk - that is your first problem to solve.
> See if you can find a reason why it's undeliverable.  Try host -t
> mx uea.ac.uk from musariada, for example.

It says:

musariada:/home/richard# host -t mx uea.ac.uk
uea.ac.uk        MX      10 mailgate5.uea.ac.uk
uea.ac.uk        MX      5 mailgate6.uea.ac.uk

> It's a bit disappointing that your exim configuration doesn't
> seem to output Router status messages and so on.  Makes it harder
> to debug. Try adding -d or other verbose options from your man
> exim4 page.

Cool. So it gets as far as deciding that the message for
events at studios.uea.ac.uk should be forwarded to s.waters at uea.ac.uk.
This is expected.

Then it does this:

Considering s.waters at uea.ac.uk

routing s.waters at uea.ac.uk
--------> hubbed_hosts router <--------
local_part=s.waters domain=uea.ac.uk
checking domains
expansion of "${if exists{/etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts}
{partial-lsearch;/etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts}fail}" forced failure:
assume not in this list
hubbed_hosts router skipped: domains mismatch
--------> lowuid_aliases router <--------
local_part=s.waters domain=uea.ac.uk
checking domains
search_open: dsearch "/etc/exim4/virtual"
  cached open
search_find: file="/etc/exim4/virtual"
  key="uea.ac.uk" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
  4/etc/exim4/virtual
  :/etc/exim4/virtual/studios.uea.ac.uk
  End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/exim4/virtual"
  type=dsearch key="uea.ac.uk"
file lookup required for uea.ac.uk
  in /etc/exim4/virtual
lookup failed
uea.ac.uk in "@:localhost:dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual"? no (end of
list)
uea.ac.uk in "+local_domains"? no (end of list)
lowuid_aliases router skipped: domains mismatch

and it continues, I think, trying several different methods to find
a route to uea.ac.uk, but eventually fails.

--------> real_local router <--------
--------> vdom_aliases router <--------
--------> system_aliases router <--------
--------> userforward router <--------
--------> procmail router <--------
--------> maildrop router <--------
--------> local_user router <--------
--------> mail4root router <--------
local_part=s.waters domain=uea.ac.uk
checking domains
cached no match for +local_domains
cached lookup data = NULL
uea.ac.uk in "+local_domains"? no (end of list)
mail4root router skipped: domains mismatch
no more routers
s.waters at uea.ac.uk is undeliverable: Unrouteable address
    <-- events at studios.uea.ac.uk
search_tidyup called

dnslookup seems to be missing even though earlier on in the
debugging output it says:

Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute
queryprogram redirect

If it /did/ try to use the dnslookup router, would it be likely to
succeed? It seems to be configured in 200_exim4-config_primary like
this:

dnslookup:
  debug_print = "R: dnslookup for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = dnslookup
  domains = ! +local_domains
  transport = remote_smtp
  same_domain_copy_routing = yes
  # ignore private rfc1918 and APIPA addresses
  ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8 : 192.168.0.0/16 :\
                        172.16.0.0/12 : 10.0.0.0/8 :
169.254.0.0/16 :\
                        255.255.255.255
  no_more

> > It could be the case that ITCS have put this port behind their
> > firewall. Does this port need to be open to the outside world?
> > If so, I'll try and psyche myself up to ring them.
>
> If you want the outside world to be able to send you email
> @studios.uea.ac.uk then port 25 on a mailserver for that domain
> needs to be open to the outside world.
>

> > > Is events in your studios.uea.ac.uk alias file?
> >
> > Yes it is. So my virtual host configuration requires that Exim
> > is able to send mail out.  Maybe this is what its having
> > trouble with?
>
> I don't understand what you mean.

When I said "send mail out" I meant forwarding it.

> > How would it be able to send mail? Would it need to know the
> > name of an SMTP server?
>
> Yes, but it should be able to work that out from DNS.
>
> > Thanks for your thoughts. So there seem to be two possible
> > problems: either port 25 on musariada is invisible to
> > outsiders, or Exim can't send mail.
>
> More that Exim isn't handling mail for studios.uea.ac.uk.

So, it seems that the problem, as your comments suggest, is that
Exim can't find a route to uea.ac.uk. Maybe if I can find a way to
make it use the dnslookup router it might work.

Cheers,
Richard
--
Richard Lewis