[ALUG] Open Office and Word

Simon Elliott alug at sionide.net
Mon Oct 8 17:27:20 BST 2007

Srdjan Todorovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 07/10/2007, Bev Nicolson <bnicolson at operamail.com> wrote:
>
>> I sent a document to someone recently and their machine kept crashing
>> when they tried to put changes into it. (They use MS.) I've not had this
>> problem before and I'm wondering exactly how compatible Open Office and
>> Word are. What's your experience?
>>

> I seem to remember writing my CV in OpenOffice and then exporting it as a
> Word 97/2000 document so that agencies can open them, and some of them
> had problems with WordXP (i think) crashing as soon as they opened my
> document. Word 2003 or 2000 (or whatever was the earlier version) did not crash.

For something like a CV, probably better to export as PDF. 99% of people
won't have a problem opening it but Bev's problem comes from editing so
it doesn't really apply.

The only thing I can think of is if the document had a lot of pictures
or graphs or other such things which might be handled a lot differently
in OOo than MS Word. OpenOffice doesn't have a problem converting purely
plain text to MS formats, when saving important work to carry on with at
university, I'll either, use OpenOffice Portable from my USB stick or
save it is as many formats as possible and cross fingers. Heh..

-Si