[ALUG] Open Office and Word

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Tue Oct 9 11:39:42 BST 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 07:33:05PM +0100, Adam Bower wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 05:27:20PM +0100, Simon Elliott wrote:
> > For something like a CV, probably better to export as PDF. 99% of
> > people won't have a problem opening it but Bev's problem comes from
> > editing so it doesn't really apply.
> Sometimes agencies will moan if you do that as it makes it harder for
> them to edit the document.... many of them have trouble with C&P too!

I encountered an agency who claimed that their document management
system couldn't handle searching PDFs. I refrained from pointing out
that an IT recruitment agency should really be able to deal with such a
common format and ended up using latex2rtf to convert my CV to something
they could handle. Later it turned out that they had indeed removed my
contact details and referees from the copy of the CV handed out to
potential employers.

J.

--
Revd. Jonathan McDowell, ULC | No thanks, I'm already having one.