[ALUG] Open Office and Word

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 18:36:28 BST 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:39:42AM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:

> I encountered an agency who claimed that their document management
> system couldn't handle searching PDFs. I refrained from pointing out
> that an IT recruitment agency should really be able to deal with such a
> common format and ended up using latex2rtf to convert my CV to something

Aye, "should" is a word I have found I have used lots in relation to
agencies. I don't think I've ever found a *good* job as the result of an
agency being involved. All my good jobs I have applied for as someone I
know has suggested I apply, or that I got the details and applied
directly or someone offered me a job without me even asking them for
one. All the jobs that have turned out to not be as described at any
point along the way have been agencies, same with my worst interviews
too, has anyone had any luck with agencies for getting the good jobs?

> they could handle. Later it turned out that they had indeed removed my
> contact details and referees from the copy of the CV handed out to
> potential employers.

Yeah, I've found they all do that. The worst one was the dodgy ****s who
put me forward for a job and managed to magic a few more years
experience onto my cv as they were having difficulty in filling the
position at the time. I found out about this during the interview when I
was asked about said things.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li