[ALUG] Open Office and Word

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Oct 10 14:39:32 BST 2007

** Simon Elliott <alug at sionide.net> [2007-10-08 19:12]:
> Srdjan Todorovic wrote:
> > On 07/10/2007, Bev Nicolson <bnicolson at operamail.com> wrote:
> >> I sent a document to someone recently and their machine kept crashing
> >> when they tried to put changes into it. (They use MS.) I've not had this
> >> problem before and I'm wondering exactly how compatible Open Office and
> >> Word are. What's your experience?
> >
> > I seem to remember writing my CV in OpenOffice and then exporting it as a
> > Word 97/2000 document so that agencies can open them, and some of them
> > had problems with WordXP (i think) crashing as soon as they opened my
> > document. Word 2003 or 2000 (or whatever was the earlier version) did not crash.
> >
> For something like a CV, probably better to export as PDF. 99% of people
> won't have a problem opening it but Bev's problem comes from editing so
> it doesn't really apply.
** end quote [Simon Elliott]

I've generally found when dealing with agencies that they will not
accept CVs in any format other than Word .doc (although probably the
newer Word formats now - it has been a while!). They've usually used the
excuse that they cannot read PDFs and even claimed not to have heard of
Adobe or Acrobat/PDFs - although given the quality if staff I've dealt
with at agencies in the past I can, actually, quite believe that!