[ALUG] Why does Firefox always use UTF-8 for this page?

Matthew matthew at aleaiactaest.com
Wed Oct 10 10:21:05 BST 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:10:03 +0100
> From: Chris G <cl at isbd.net>
> Subject: Re: [ALUG] Why does Firefox always use UTF-8 for this page?
> To: main at lists.alug.org.uk
>
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 06:40:47PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> However I'd really prefer to
> keep the default Charset as UTF-8 and change it to ISO-8859-1 for just
> the /home/chris/webdev/info hierarchy.
>
> But how do I do it?  Adding a .htaccess file with "AddCharset
> ISO-8859-1 .rst .txtl" to the directory /home/chris/webdev/info
> doesn't seem to do anything, but that doesn't surprise me really
> because I don't think my browser ever sees that .rst file. I also
> tried:-
>
>     <Directory /var/www/cgi-bin/pyblosxom.cgi>
>         AddCharset ISO-8859-1 .rst .txtl
>         AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
>     </Directory>

I don't really understand the correspondence between your filesystem
location and your URL-space one. Which are you trying to specify here?
<Directory> is for filesystem locations, otherwise you want <Location>.

As has been said, if it's a request to a CGI script you can set the
headers in the script. You should probably do it that way if possible,
because I'm sure headers set by CGI trump Apache's default Charset and I
suspect also the specific sets. You may find that the script already sets
a charset (CGI scripts are required to provide a Content-type: header, I
think).

Matthew