[ALUG] LVM documentation and/or basic help wanted

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 11 14:57:16 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 01:52:24PM +0100, Richard Lewis wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007 13:23:22 Chris G wrote:
> >
> > I can understand the basics of LVM, i.e. how to do things, but it
> > would be useful to have a 'why' document.
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
>
> would be a good place to start.

I had already found that and read it!  :-)

That's what allowed me to post my questions, it does a pretty good job
of describing the 'how' of LVM but does very little on the 'why'
front.

I need something that tells me good strategies for splitting ones
disks, e.g. :-

    Is it best to keep two large[ish] SATA disks as two Volume Groups
    or would they be better as one?

    What's a reasonable strategy for spltting into logical volumes?

> These HOWTO thingies are often pretty good. I found it through
> Google <http://www.google.co.uk/> (also pretty good, if a little
> evil.)

That's how I found the HOWTO too.