[ALUG] LVM documentation and/or basic help wanted

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 22:11:32 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:57 +0100, Chris G wrote:

> I need something that tells me good strategies for splitting ones
> disks, e.g. :-
>
>     Is it best to keep two large[ish] SATA disks as two Volume Groups
>     or would they be better as one?
>
>     What's a reasonable strategy for spltting into logical volumes?

Multiple physical devices in a single volume group scare me unless
either the physical devices are in themselves fault tolerant or I really
don't care about the data I am going to put in the resulting partitions.

Failure of a single device will result in all the partitions within the
group probably being irrecoverably unmountable. So when a volume group
comprises of two devices you have doubled the chances of disk failure
wiping out your data.

That said if you require logical volumes larger than your biggest disk
then it is your only choice.