[ALUG] Can any expert out there help with SASL?

Barry Samuels bjsamuels at beenthere-donethat.org.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:26:18 BST 2007

I run Postfix on Debian Testing and I originally set outgoing mail in
my mailer (Balsa) to be SMTP localhost:25.

I have the choice of sending external mail either through my ISP's mail
server or my web site hoster's mail server.

In my Postfix main.cf I had relayhost = (one of two mail servers)

Before I changed ISPs recently I used to send my external mail through
my ISP (unauthenticated) but then I changed to my web site hoster's
mail server and mail was going out through them (also unauthenticated).

When I changed ISPs recently I found that I could no longer send
through my web site hoster's mail server and they say that's because it
requires authentication. I don't know why it should have worked with my
old ISP and the people who host my web site haven't offered any
explanation.

So I'm trying, and failing dismally, to use SASL for SMTP
authentication.

I followed these instructions http://linuxgazette.net/142/pfeiffer.html

However if I now try sending mail with SASL set up authentication fails
on whichever external mail server I use but I don't know why or how to
find out why it's failing.

Can anyone help with this?

--
Barry Samuels