[ALUG] [OT] I love vivid descriptions!!

Simon Elliott alug at sionide.net
Mon Oct 15 18:28:43 BST 2007

(Ted Harding) wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I know it's way off topic (off practically any topic,
> though perhaps soon to becone topical). But I cannot
> resist sharing this unusually vivid description:
>
> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6881120-claims.html

Haha! To bring it slightly back round to topic, that's very similar sort
of wording and use of description that Microsoft used in their patent of
the emoticon.

"A method, comprising: selecting pixels to be used as an emoticon;
assigning a character sequence to the pixels; and transmitting the
character sequence to a destination to allow for reconstruction of the
pixels at the destination."

Another one they patented was the "<other user> is typing a message"
which appears on MSN Messenger as the other person is typing. As a
result, Pidgin (aka. Gaim) has to use a little icon of a hand over a
keyboard because those words in that combination have been patented.

You can patent anything these days.. Very interesting stuff. My
housemate is studying IP law this year, so I'll be telling him whenever
I read anything on Groklaw about Microsoft being their usual silly
selves with patenting things.

--Simon