[ALUG] [OT] I love vivid descriptions!!

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Oct 15 19:55:04 BST 2007

** Simon Elliott <alug at sionide.net> [2007-10-15 18:31]:
> (Ted Harding) wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> > I know it's way off topic (off practically any topic,
> > though perhaps soon to becone topical). But I cannot
> > resist sharing this unusually vivid description:
> >
> > http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6881120-claims.html
> >
> Haha! To bring it slightly back round to topic, that's very similar sort
> of wording and use of description that Microsoft used in their patent of
> the emoticon.
>
> "A method, comprising: selecting pixels to be used as an emoticon;
> assigning a character sequence to the pixels; and transmitting the
> character sequence to a destination to allow for reconstruction of the
> pixels at the destination."
>
> Another one they patented was the "<other user> is typing a message"
> which appears on MSN Messenger as the other person is typing. As a
> result, Pidgin (aka. Gaim) has to use a little icon of a hand over a
> keyboard because those words in that combination have been patented.
>
> You can patent anything these days.. Very interesting stuff. My
> housemate is studying IP law this year, so I'll be telling him whenever
> I read anything on Groklaw about Microsoft being their usual silly
> selves with patenting things.
** end quote [Simon Elliott]

...and to bring it even closer back on topic...

...a patent infringment filed against Red Hat and Novell, and the first
involving Linux.

Patent No. 5,072,412 for a User Interface with Multiple Workspaces for
Sharing Display System Objects issued Dec. 10, 1991.

It will be interesting to follow, and also interesting that a few
Microsoft execs have transferred to the parent company of the of those
holding the patent.