[ALUG] usb printer not recognised

Jenny Hopkins hopkins.jenny at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:32:01 BST 2007

Hullo there,

I've stuck an HP LaserJet 1018 onto a debian stable box.  Printer only
has usb connection.  However, hp-probe says there are no devices
found, and lsusb agrees with this.

Other usb devices work on this computer, and the printer works on a
different (ubuntu) computer.  The cups web interface detected a new
printer, saying it was on "hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP110YP".
Printing a test page just gives the syslog error
"knossos kernel: usb 1-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd hpiod rqt
161 rq 1 len 1 ret -110
Oct 17 11:36:10 knossos hpiod: invalid Device::DeviceStatus:
Connection timed out hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP110YP
io/hpiod/device.cpp 818
Oct 17 11:36:10 knossos hpiod: unable to read Device::GetDeviceStatus:
Connection timed out hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1018?serial=KP110YP
io/hpiod/device.cpp 1081"

Have I missed out some modules to install, perchance?  I've done an
inordinate amount of googling on the various errors and found very
little of help, and am stumped.

Thanks,

Jenny