[ALUG] usb printer not recognised

keith.jamieson at bt.com keith.jamieson at bt.com
Thu Oct 18 08:43:51 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 12:32:01PM +0100, Jenny Hopkins wrote:

> I've stuck an HP LaserJet 1018 onto a debian stable box.  Printer only

> has usb connection.  However, hp-probe says there are no devices
> found, and lsusb agrees with this.

Does dmesg say anything about the printer being plugged in? If not then
can you see the printer appear on the usb bus if you boot the machine
from a linux live cd with a different kernel version or something? Also,
have you checked and swapped cables for known good ones and used the
same usb ports for both tests? I'll admit i'm a bit stumped too.

Adam
--

Have you got USB support ? Its an old one, but try lsmod and see if
anything USB is in there.

Keith