[ALUG] Viewing XML files

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 13:50:42 BST 2007

Richard Lewis wrote:
> It would be interesting to find out just how prevalent XML really
> is. Where is XML really being applied?

I find it frequently, although rarely where it is "necessary" - usually
a sign that the person who wrote the application thinks XML is great and
used it. Howver it's infinitely better than proprietary formats, and I
can't help thinking that the fact that an OpenOffice .odt file is
basically an XML file, and its inserted objects (images etc) packed up
in a .zip file.

What frustrates me is that understanding XML is easy at the basic level,
but there seems to me to be a big jump between that and doing anything
useful with it. Once you "get it" the world is probably your oyster.

The XML files which lead me to start this thread are from an indistrial
software package, the previous version of which used a proprietary
format. We've just completed a very large high profile job without
difficulty because the XML file format allowed us to auto-create a huge
amount of the application that would have been hand-coded otherwise. (I
did all that without really needing to get to grips with XML and not
touching XSLT etc, it was sufficient to just treat the XML as a big text
file).

>  And notice how AJAX is now becoming AJAJ[9].

Yes, I'd noticed this too.

--
Mark Rogers // More Solutions Ltd (Peterborough Office) // 0845 45 89 555
Registered in England (0456 0902) at 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG