[ALUG] Any good tools for generating HTML tables out there?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 18 23:21:12 BST 2007

I'm using reStructuredText extensively for writing notes etc. that I
can use both as written and by generating HTML from the .rst files so
they can be viewed in a browser.

However the table generation syntax in reStructuredText is a bit
clumsy, 'simple tables' are OK but don't have row spans and I really
want row spans, 'grid tables' can do anything but take a huge amount
of effort to type.

So, I'm after some simple way of generating HTML tables, preferably
from some sort of text 'source' file that is itself reasonably
readable.  Has anyone here got any suggestions for anything like this?