[ALUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - dualboot on two hard drives

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 22:59:28 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 11:51 +0100, James Freer wrote:
> I've read a post on this on another forum and somehow it doesn't seem
> to work for me... ubuntu 8.04 seems quite clever. It finds the
> winblows drive and puts the necessary code at the bottom of the
> menu.lst file. I'd rather use dualboot with two drives as it is then
> easier for  installing new ubuntu releases (IMHO).
>
> hard drives both standard IDE on a 2.6ghz desktop.
> master drive - ubuntu 8.04
> slave drive - win2k (no reason other than i don't have a copy of XP...
> my only reason for wanting to do dualbooting is that i've got several
> apps and a scanner than i can't run on ubuntu)
>
> Following the beginning of the guide that worked fine - installing
> win2k on master and then connecting the master for ubuntu carefully
> switching the win2k disk to slave.

The problem with doing that is that it would break the Windows
bootloader. At this level it identifies the disks depending on where
they are on the controller (i.e which channel and master/slave) and
partition number on the disk. The error you are getting is because ntldr
is getting pointed in the wrong direction by a file in the root of the
Windows partition called boot.ini (it is also possible that this file
doesn't actually exist, but more on that later).

It is possible you just need to edit the path to the Windows disk in
boot.ini unfortunately this is specified as an ARC path (yes that is the
Advanced Risc Computing one) so you probably need to read and understand
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873 first to work out what the ARC
path of your disk is now you have moved it. Although if it is the first
partition of a secondary disk on the primary IDE channel then
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1) might be close.

That may fix it..or may only get you as far as a BSoD telling you
"inaccessible boot device" this really depends on how many goats you
have sacrificed.

XP can boot without a boot.ini file ISTR in which case it just tries the
first fat32/ntfs partition it can find. But I am pretty sure W2K needs
one so editing this (taking a backup copy first) is probably your best
chance.