[ALUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - dualboot on two hard drives

James Freer jessejazza at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:26:30 BST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Freer <jessejazza at googlemail.com>
Date: 2008/7/9
Subject: Re: [ALUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - dualboot on two hard drives
To: Wayne Stallwood <ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk>

2008/7/8 Wayne Stallwood <ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk>:
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 11:51 +0100, James Freer wrote:
>> I've read a post on this on another forum and somehow it doesn't seem
>> to work for me... ubuntu 8.04 seems quite clever. It finds the
>> winblows drive and puts the necessary code at the bottom of the
>> menu.lst file. I'd rather use dualboot with two drives as it is then
>> easier for  installing new ubuntu releases (IMHO).
>>
>> hard drives both standard IDE on a 2.6ghz desktop.
>> master drive - ubuntu 8.04
>> slave drive - win2k (no reason other than i don't have a copy of XP...
>> my only reason for wanting to do dualbooting is that i've got several
>> apps and a scanner than i can't run on ubuntu)
>>
>> Following the beginning of the guide that worked fine - installing
>> win2k on master and then connecting the master for ubuntu carefully
>> switching the win2k disk to slave.
>
> The problem with doing that is that it would break the Windows
> bootloader. At this level it identifies the disks depending on where
> they are on the controller (i.e which channel and master/slave) and
> partition number on the disk. The error you are getting is because ntldr
> is getting pointed in the wrong direction by a file in the root of the
> Windows partition called boot.ini (it is also possible that this file
> doesn't actually exist, but more on that later).
>
> It is possible you just need to edit the path to the Windows disk in
> boot.ini unfortunately this is specified as an ARC path (yes that is the
> Advanced Risc Computing one) so you probably need to read and understand
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873 first to work out what the ARC
> path of your disk is now you have moved it. Although if it is the first
> partition of a secondary disk on the primary IDE channel then
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1) might be close.
>
> That may fix it..or may only get you as far as a BSoD telling you
> "inaccessible boot device" this really depends on how many goats you
> have sacrificed.
>
> XP can boot without a boot.ini file ISTR in which case it just tries the
> first fat32/ntfs partition it can find. But I am pretty sure W2K needs
> one so editing this (taking a backup copy first) is probably your best
> chance.

many thanks Wayne

I wondered if that was the problem from just reading various things
i'd found from doing a google. For me being less technical it is
hardly worth trying to do the editing. After posting this message i
was searching through the bits 'n' pieces that came with this machine
to find an XP recovery CD set. Making the windoze HD master again and
installing XP took little more than about 20 mins - all the drivers
necessary being already there... thought i was going to have a hunt on
'drivers guide'.

I'd always wanted to avoid dualboot but this 2HD method seems better
than partitioning. While i have only a couple of apps and a scanner to
run on windoze - i still find certain DVDs a pain to run on ubuntu.
I'm now happily watching my Telegraph compilation of previous
wimbledons which was somehow prepared for windoze as RealPlayer and
others didn't work properly.

james