[ALUG] Picasa 2 for Linux

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 20:32:01 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 19:54 +0100, James Freer wrote:

> Having tried to learn about wine and virtual machines i've now found a
> sort of combination. One downloads version 2.7 .deb and then part of
> it is also running in Wine. This 'middleware layer' is perhaps
> something new and if anyone knows perhaps they could explain... maybe
> of interest to photographers amongst us!

No Wine is the middleware layer, Google just package a tested version of
this with the windows version of Picasa for the Linux version.

Wine isn't an emulator or a virtual machine, it is a reimplementation of
the windows API that wraps the Windows executable and translates all the
system calls to linux ones, because the core architecture is the same
this is possible and a full platform emulation isn't required.

Unfortunately because wine is a result of reverse engineering Windows it
will probably never be perfect. What google have done basically is make
wine a QA target as if it was another version of Windows itself.

It's not actually a bad solution for code that can not or will not be
released OSS. I'd almost prefer running a tested against Wine
application than a closed source native one. You can effectively chroot
wine away from where it can do any damage and run any untrusted closed
source applications safe in the knowledge that really all they can do is
contaminate your wine environment which is easily repaired. With a close
source installation of a native package you don't really know what it is
doing to your system. It also makes one of the key "reasons" for not
supporting linux natively a moot point. That being the argument that
there are too many changing versions/api's to track. Just target Wine
1.0 instead.