[ALUG] Scripted editing of PDF files

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jul 14 11:55:37 BST 2008

(Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On the other hand, if the PDF was simply uses text fonts and vector
> graphics, then you can (in theory) export it (e.g. from Acrobat Reader)
> to a PostScript file -- just "print to file".

More usefully from the command line, there's pdf2ps (from Ghostscript)
and pdftops (from XPDF and maybe Poppler).

A disappointingly high number of Windows-produced PDF files are simply
bitmaps in PDF wrappers.  Mac-produced ones seem better, but still
much larger than most GNU-produced ones.  I don't understand enough
PDF to know why.

Another approach is using Perl or PHP libraries to open the PDF and
stick text on it, as mentioned by others, which I've done sometimes,
with good results.

Good luck!
--
MJ Ray (slef)