[ALUG] ubuntu 8.04 revisited

gizbun gizbun at aacute.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 12:23:38 BST 2008

> I upgraded to Hardy Heron a few days ago and have two puzzles. One is
that twice now I've had Network Manager error messages when I shut down,
though I've changed none of the settings
> Bev.

I was getting this on one of my machines after upgrade. The simple
solution is to edit /etc/init.d/halt and /etc/init.d/reboot to remove
the -i option

i.e. in /etc/init.d/halt change:

        halt -d -f -i $poweroff $hddown

#       halt -d -f -i $poweroff $hddown
        halt -d -f $poweroff $hddown

and in /etc/init.d/reboot

        reboot -d -f -i

#       reboot -d -f -i
        reboot -d -f

(old lines left and commented out so that I know what I've done.)

The man page states that "-i iterates configured network interfaces and
brings them down before shutting down. On Linux, this is unnecessary as
the kernel will do this anyway."

Worked for me anyway.

David Davies