[ALUG] Cheap HP server OS free

James Freer jessejazza at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 25 19:21:04 BST 2008

2008/7/25 Wayne Stallwood <ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk>:
> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 15:13 +0100, James Freer wrote:
>> Wayne
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I did mean to send it to the list. It seems that
>> one has got to enter TO: main address each email to this group. When
>> one just does REPLY it goes direct to the sender - that's what i did
>> this time. I don't know why it should be this way on this group as
>> others like yahoo all go straight to the list... that's the way it
>> should work.
>
> To be honest that behaviour is more down to your mail client than the
> list, and looking at your headers you aren't using a mail client but
> google's webmail interface. A lot of mail clients have a reply to list
> button that reads the header in the mail from the list which announces
> it as a list and provides the correct reply address, others allow you to
> set a default reply address for a folder and then have a rule drop the
> alug mails into this folder. Unfortunately I think most webmail (inc
> google) lacks this functionality.
>
> The reason it is done this way is to preserve the reply-to header rather
> than rewriting it, this is considered the "correct" behaviour but
> unfortunately not all mail clients support it. Hence things like yahoo
> groups do it the "technically wrong" way and rewrite the reply-to header
> to be the list address.
>
> It has been a matter of debate on the list several times and comes up
> for discussion once in a while. But the general consensus each time is
> to leave it the correct way and deal with it at the client end.

ok thanks Wayne for clearing that up. Most of the time i remember... like today.

I use a mail client for archiving emails to CD but i have to say that
i like the conversations that googlemail offers.

I do use Thunderbird on imap on one machine but just doesn't seem
worth having on each machine.

james