[ALUG] How to deal with MS .docx files?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 10 13:22:14 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 01:06:49PM +0000, samwise wrote:
> > Is there any Linux application that will handle MS Word .docx files
> > successfully?
> >
> > A .dox file is a compressed archive of .xml files but unpacking it
> > doesn't really produce anything very usable.
>
> OpenOffice.org 3 or docx-converter.com ...

... er, but isn't docx-converter.com an MS Windows program, not much
help on a Linux box.

... and OpenOffice.org 3 is still in beta I guess so isn't really an easy
option, i.e. a bit OTT for just opening a document.

I think I'll just say that .docx files are even more unacceptable than
ordinary MS Word .doc files.