[ALUG] How to deal with MS .docx files?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 10 13:56:11 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 01:45:02PM +0000, samwise wrote:
> > ... er, but isn't docx-converter.com an MS Windows program, not much
> > help on a Linux box.
>
> No.  Have you visited the site?

Yes, I did a Google search and, at a quick glance at least, it seemed
like an MS program.

OK, I've taken another look and (being a command line junkie) I'm
totally confused.  It offers me a download which is a .zip file and
when I download it it unpacks and gives me a file called
docx-converter.wdgt and I haven't a clue what to do with that.

> > ... and OpenOffice.org 3 is still in beta I guess so isn't really an easy
> > option, i.e. a bit OTT for just opening a document.
>
> No, 3.0 was released last month.

OK, but it's not available as a packaged update for many (any?) main
line Linux distributions yet is it?  As I said it seems a bit OTT to
install the whole of OpenOffice outside my standard package manager
just to let me open .docx files.

As I said I think I'm just going to say .docx files are unacceptable
and leave it at that.