[ALUG] Ripping HD-DVD disks to XVID

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 13:11:30 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:40:13AM +0000, Mark Rogers wrote:

> I just gave in and bought a second hand player off eBay for just over
> £100 delivered, with 2 free films (+Blue Planet which I wanted anyway),
> the very same Toshiba HD-EP30 that was available new for £70 as above.

Test the player lots when you get it, the first one I had would freeze
up seemingly at random. I did call Toshiba and they sent out a
replacement a few days later. Oh, and the HD-EP30 runs Linux too, but
Toshiba are very naughty and don't seem to provide sources or any way in
to the player. Also of note the new Panasonic tele I purchased the other
month has a copy of the GPL built into the firmware menus under "license
agreement" as it too also runs Linux (apparently), but the download link
for the source is broken. Not that I can actually see a situation that I
would want to try and update firmware with a custom build on something
like a television ;)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li