[ALUG] How to diagnose this crash on exit from X?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 11 17:54:18 GMT 2008

I have just installed xubuntu 8.10 on new hardware.  It is based on a
an Asus P5Q-VM motherboard (all Intel, including graphics) has 8Gb of
memory and a quad code processor.

It all installed OK without any problems and ran OK.  However since I
set the graphics resolution to 1600x1200 (the display's default) it
crashes *totally* on exiting from X.  It's a total, hard, crash -
CTRL/ALT/Fn won't switch to a text console, I can't ssh into the
system (which I can before it has crashed) and I can't ping the
system.

There is one other symptom, when I try and switch to a text mode
console (using CTRL/ALT/Fn) even when the system is running OK I get a
message from my monitor saying "this mode isn't supported" which seems
a little odd on a monitor capable of 1600x1200 at more than 60Hz.

The monitor is a Dell 2001FP and I'm using the DVI-D input.

Does anyone have any ideas how to diagnose this problem?  I have
hunted around the files in /var/log but I can't see anything that
looks significant there.

The xorg.conf file is totally uncustomised:-

    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
            Device          "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection