[ALUG] How to diagnose this crash on exit from X?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 11 18:30:07 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:11:11PM +0000, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> 2008/11/11 Chris G <cl at isbd.net>:
>
> > It all installed OK without any problems and ran OK.  However since I
> > set the graphics resolution to 1600x1200 (the display's default) it
> > crashes *totally* on exiting from X.  It's a total, hard, crash -
> > CTRL/ALT/Fn won't switch to a text console, I can't ssh into the
> > system (which I can before it has crashed) and I can't ping the
> > system.
>
> Sounds like a kernel oops or freeze. Do the Magic SysRq keys work?

They don't seem too even though '/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq' has a 1 in
it. I've tried various ALT/SysRQ/<key> combinations and nothing seems
to happen.

> Next step would be to get serial console support in kernel and pump the
> output to another box, then trigger the crash by exiting from X.
> The relevant info should be useful to someone.

Will it be useful to me though!  :-)

> Do you get the same issue at a different resolution? With vesa X11 drivers?

If memory serves me correctly the "as installed" xubuntu before
changing the resolution did work OK (i.e. I could log out of X and
back in again).  However changing to (for example) 1280x1024 from
1600x1200 doesn't change the symptoms at all now.

I'll try the vesa drivers if I get desperate.