[ALUG] Low powered PC - I've ordered some bits

Dennis Dryden ddryden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:37:25 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> Re: my question yesterday about low power PC suppliers
>
> I hunted around on Google for a while and found an article on the
> (venerable) "Tom's Hardware" site about building a low power, but
> capable, system.
>
> They built a 4Gb, Intel core 2 duo system that consumed only around 30
> watts when running.  I've ordered bits for a similar system, it uses a
> FoxConn motherboard with Intel G31 chipset.  My parts cost for a 4Gb
> system with 7400 processor (the most expensive bit, 7300 was out of
> stock) and a 500Gb hard disk was about £250.
>
> Compared with Mini-ITX systems and/or Intel Atom based systems this
> seems good value to me and gives me lots more processor power and room
> for expansion (i.e. adding hard disks).
>
> When the bits come and I've built it I will report its actual power
> consumption.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Wow 30 watts sounds very low. Id stay clear of Foxconn though, there
Linux support has been quite poor in the past. It seems like they did
try to fix the problem but at the start it seemed like they were
trying to make there boards less stable on Linux:
http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249

Dennis