[ALUG] Low powered PC - I've ordered some bits

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 11:13:42 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 09:16 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> Compared with Mini-ITX systems and/or Intel Atom based systems this
> seems good value to me and gives me lots more processor power and room
> for expansion (i.e. adding hard disks).

Yes it does...The current issue with the Atom is that although the CPU
itself is very low power (2.5W TDP I seem to recall) it is partnered to
a very hungry chipset (20W or so I think). I am amazed you can get C2D
that low when you start to include a desktop hard drive etc.

It's insane that we have Atom boards with a fanless CPU and a fan on the
Northbridge !