[ALUG] 32 versus 64 bit

Srdjan Todorovic todorovic.s at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:50:35 GMT 2008

Hi,

2008/11/17 Wayne Stallwood <ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 08:35 +0000, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

>> Or if you don't install
>> all kinds of odd things that are 32 bit only - something which has
>> given me untold grief.  There don't seem to be any gains, and there is lots of
>> aggravation.
>
> That's a shame, Here I have been 64bit on my main machine for almost 4
> years now. Initially I had some problems with 32bit only software and
> having to run a 32bit instance of Firefox for flash etc.

I am indeed a little worried (but only just a little) about moving to
64bit for the moment, due to possible incompatibilities with userspace
apps.

What I'm looking at as a possible intermediate step in my transition
to 64 bit, is a 64bit kernel and 32 bit userspace.
I can then spend some time testing things out like that, and then move
over to full 64bit userland.
Is this possible? Is it troublesome? Does anyone have any experience
regarding this that they would like to share?

Thanks
Srdjan