[ALUG] Gnome "Wastebasket" puzzle

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Nov 23 16:19:06 GMT 2008

On 23-Nov-08 15:47:09, Brett Parker wrote:
> On 22 Nov 22:42, Ted Harding wrote:

>> > Your USB stick will have its own Trash. I discovered this when I
>> > thought I had made some space on a stick by 'deleting' all the
>> > files,
>> > but they were all hiding in Trash. This behaviour will confuse
>> > Windows
>> > users who are used to only real hard disks having recycling bins.
>> >
>> > Tim.
>>
>> Thanks, Tim! That solves that part of the puzzle. (I hadn't spotted
>> it because that trash-bin is /media/usbdisk/.Trash-ted, so it didn't
>> show up by default until I selected "View all files"). Those files
>> now deleted from .Trash-ted, though I've left the directory in place
>> since I'll need it in the future.
>>
>> Now for my other (and main) query: How do I *harmlessly* remove
>> my folders Downloads and "Ted's Downloads" from the main trash-bin
>> (/home/test/.Trash)?
>>
>> I want them out of that .Trash, but I *do* want to keep them where
>> they properly are: /home/ted/Downloads and
>> /home/ted/Ted's" "Downloads -> /home/ted/Downloads
>>
>> If I 'cd' into /home/ted/.Trash and then do 'rm *', will I remove
>> the true directories, or would I simply delete some symbolic
>> links, leaving the real ones in place (though when I do
>> 'ls -l /home/ted/.Trash' they don't show up as symbolic links)?
>
> The stuff in Trash is real files, what happens is that when you delete
> things rather than them actually being deleted in effect a rename is
> performed (actually, IIRC, what happens is a hardlink is created then
> the origional file deleted). So, removing from Trash, would, in theory
> at least, remove them entirely from the disk.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Brett Parker

Ahh!! Incandescent exclamation mark appears above my head!
"hard link" had been my blind spot (I was trying to suss out how
Trash works).

So the solution turns out to be simple:

1: Set up a new hard link to the file in .Trash from where it's
   supposed to be
2: Delete the entry in .Trash

Done and dusted. Thanks!
Ted.