[ALUG] Using curl (or similar) bypassing DNS

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 15:52:07 BST 2009

David Reynolds wrote:
> If I understand what you're saying correctly (and it took me a couple
> of reads to get to the point I'm at now, so it's quite possible I
> don't..),  I think you might want to script something like
>
> telnet server.ip.address 80
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.the-virtualhost-you-want-to-test.com
>
> That way you are talking to the server you think the site is on,
> regardless of the DNS.

You're spot on with what I'm trying to do. And yes, the above should work.

However, using something like curl would allow me to handle stuff like
sessions and https without jumping through too many hoops, if I decide
to do that (I don't really need to right now, though).

Thanks for clarifying what I am trying to do, though, since I did a bad
job of explaining it!

--
Mark Rogers // More Solutions Ltd (Peterborough Office) // 0845 45 89 555
Registered in England (0456 0902) at 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG