[ALUG] Eee and root

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jun 7 16:49:36 BST 2009

On 07-Jun-09 14:55:56, Anthony Anson wrote:
> Wayne Stallwood wrote:
>> Regardless of whether or not you set a password, the first user you
>> set
>> up (or the only user if you only have one user on the machine) will be
>> an sudo'er..it will probably just not prompt you for a password if one
>> wasn't set.
>>
>> If you set a password and then somehow set up autologin and then
>> forgot
>> the password then you'll need to do the boot in single user mode,
>> remount / and change/set the root password dance probably.
>>
> That would be much easier in a proper version of Linux - this thing,
> which is more Windozy than Windows, with My This, and My That, and
> default to brash and 'orrid icons in a Windozy GUI - just starts, and
> presents a page of Internet, Work, learn, Play and Favourites.
>
> I could do without practically everything on each of these - an do.
> Accordingly (at great expense) I've bought a vast tome of 'how to do
> it'
> command line and shell scripting, and despite Asus inisting that 'I may
> not' remove pre-installed programs, most of them are coming off...
>
> About the only things I use are Firefox, Thunderbird, the Vodafone
> dongleything, wireless notworks, File Mangler and Open Office. I might
> use some of the other facilities, but I really can't think that I'll
> want to.
>>
>> BTW is there something wrong with your clock..you seem to have replied
>> to my message before I sent it :)
> Auntie Sipation?
> Better?
> --
> Tony

You can install alternative desktops (KDE, Gnome) in the Eee without
removing the factory-installed (admittedly yukky) desktop. I installed
KDE on mine and it runs very smoothly, with the option to switch to the
"factory" desktop available as "Easy Mode" under the "Launch" button.

There are very setailed instructions for KDE at:
  http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:getkde

For Gnome, have a read of:
  http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2009

Other readers may have better/more up-to-date knowledge about doing this.

Once successfully installed, it will be the default after boot, and
is known as the "Advanced Mode" or "Full Desktop". You can switch to
"Easy Mode" as described above. Once in "Easy Mode", under the "Settings"
tab you can switch back by choosing "Full Desktop" from the "Instant
Shutdown" icon.

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 07-Jun-09                                       Time: 16:49:31